With health care costs continuing to increase at about three times the rate of inflation (median cost increases projected to remain at 8% for 2007), employers are investing in a range of cost control strategies, according to a forthcoming study conducted by Watson Wyatt and the National Business Group on Health (press release here).
Some of the creative solutions being implemented by study participants in an effort to improve employee health and stem costs include:
- Offering a nurse line - 78%
- Offering health risk appraisals - 72%
- Implementing programs focused on obesity reduction - 42%
- Opening on-site clinics - 23%
- Opening on-site pharmacies - 14%
See related earlier post on Extreme Wellness Management to learn more about one company's admittedly aggressive tactics to improve employee health.